A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Thursday, August 3, 2017

120 Years of Egypt's Stella Beer

I have returned from vacation, and while as I explained previously, my posts will continue to be less frequent until my cataract surgery later this month, I expect it to be much more regular after that. Meanwhile, here's a site memorializing 120 years of Egypt's Stella beer. There are several photo collections (labels, breweries, history, etc) which deserve your attention, whether you know Stella from the state-owned (no quality control) years or the much improved post-privatization product.

1 comment:

David Mack said...

Ahh, yes. This takes me back to 1964, when I was a Fulbright Scholar. Stella inspired an Egyptian university student friend to introduce me to one of his innovative Arabic expressions one hot Cairo afternoon: "Yalla, David, nitbayyar."

Salaamtak, ya Mike.