A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Violent Weekend All Over

After a quiet day trip to the Shenandoah Valley today, some of it spent in the nearly sealed off Fort Valley of the Massanutten range where Verizon's famous red map apparently does not reach and my phone was unable to get either a signal or the Internet, I return to learn that:
  • The strikes on Libya are well under way (no link here, as it's everywhere);
  • 50 mortar rounds were fired into southern Israel from Gaza today, and Israel is promising retaliation;
Well, it started as a relaxing weekend. I guess I should have stayed off the grid.

1 comment:

David Mack said...

Don't expect any quick end in Libya, Mike. To paraphrase Thomas Hobbes, the struggle between rebels and Qadhafi loyalists will be nasty and brutish, but I fear it will not be short.