A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Friday, June 4, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Recycling Bin . . .

In case you've been wondering where I've been: on Tuesday night while taking out the recycling, I fell and hit my driveway. Hard. An ambulance ride later I learn I have a broken hip. Yep, the thighbone was no longer connected to the hipbone. After two immobilized days, l had a hip replacement yesterday. So I'll be having even more fun at airport security from here on out.

I'm still in the hospital, and my first priority is the summer issue of the Journal, but on the other hand, I'm going to be immobilized for a while, so when I can I'll resume regular posting, perhaps later today.

Sorry if there are typos. Blame the painkillers.

8 comments:

A said...

Ouch! That sounds like no fun at all. Get well quick!

LJ Marczak said...

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Hope you have a quick recovery.

Mike Ryan said...

Wow Mike! It hurts me just thinking about hitting the driveway "hard". Get well soon. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Michael Collins Dunn said...

Nothing unless you can improve either the hospital food or the pricey and slow Internet. And yes, you csn hurt yourself taking out the trash.

Anonymous said...

You probably won't have too many problems at the airport. I have a whacking great big steel plate in my leg -- the result of a broken knee a few years ago -- and have not had any problems traveling. I don't even bother to point it out to them any more. I was laid up for three months recovering from that injury.

Hadeeqa bi Amreeka said...

Geez. Glad you're still in good spirits. Hope you get well soon.

David Roberts said...

I'll never take out the rubbish again.

Here's hoping that you get better 'bi surrah' as they say.

Qifa Nabki said...

Salamtak!