A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Floods

I'm one blogger and I've had a number of key meetings and other things going on this week so my posts have been pretty eclectic, but I should at least note the flash flood problems the region has been facing. Sinai and the Negev have been partiucarly hard hit, and apparently Gaza as well (which needs floods like it needs earthquakes right now); Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Israel, and Egypt proper and other neighboring regions have also been hit with heavy rains and, as is inevitable in dry desert environments, flash flooding.

With the world's humanitarian focus quite justifiably turned toward Haiti, this isn't getting much attention outside the region, but I thought I should at least acknowledge it's happening.

No comments: